First egg for them and me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ellie, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Wow, it is so exciting.

I credit this forum for the good care that got them this far. Y'all helped every step of the way, so you share in the first egg. Just sorry, I can't fry it for all of us!

[​IMG]

This one is next to a Large store bought egg.

[​IMG]

Ellie

2. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW you got a nice size egg for your first one! CONGRATS!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I got a snowball effect once one of my girl's started to lay within a week I had a second laying and by week three I had four out of six laying!!

Two are still not "giving up the goods" but the other four are going strong!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

Yep - once one goes they all start it seems..... I have 6 eggs in the kitchen and they're ALL different - don't know who's laying them and its taken me a few days to collect them but.............. [​IMG]

4. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thanks. WP, how do you know who layed what? Gosh, I have 9 and will only know if it is the Easter Egger.

She layed right in the nest. What smart chickens they are. I really wish I could tell which one, though I praised them all.

Ellie

5. Wooden_Pony

ellie, I spent many hours watching the coop from my window to see who was in the boxes! Yes, I really do not have a life LOL!!

My DH of course thinks I am a nut but even my two little ones can tell you who laid what egg and they request certain eggs for breakfast.

One wants only FiFi eggs. One wants Rainah eggs and Tiger eggs. ect.

Good luck with your EE's. My one lays a really light brown egg the other still has not laid yet. I have a nice selection of browns in the basket!

Hopefully, my other EE will lay a different color like green or blue [​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I bought all my girls for their egg color - and I bought 2 of each breed - so I can make a guess for who laid what, but still don't know for sure...
    Oh I did catch my Flopsy in the nest and waited for her to finish [​IMG]

7. Wooden_Pony

Oh I did catch my Flopsy in the nest and waited for her to finish

LOL my youngest just the other day watched his chicken Tiger lay her egg.

He came running in with it still wet and warm and said to DH and I

"Look at what Tiger pooped out!!!"

He was so thrilled he ate it for dinner that night!​

8. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I am going to watch this weekend for sure in between all my chores. I suspect I will look funnier than they do.. running back and forth to see who may be lurking in the coop! [​IMG]

Ellie

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I've done that! [​IMG] The funny girls, when one was in the nest the rest of them lined up like they were waiting for their turn - I got VERY excited.... [​IMG] THen another one got in the next box, so there were TWO of them in there - I was THRILLED......
    I waited and waited........................... and after ALL the fussing they did, only one laid an egg... [​IMG] My Flopsy! (Leghorn/Ideal 236)

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yayyy on first eggs. Nothing is more exciting until you get your second egg! LOL

Honestly every day finding those little treasures in the nest boxes is exciting to me. It is even more exciting to count them as you collect them. So far we can count to 21 almost every single day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by