First egg from 15 week old RIR!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lola12, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Lola12

Lola12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    One of my 7 girls laid her first egg today! I was shooting for 20 weeks at the earliest! Does this seem really young for a RIR? It was perfect! She laid it out in the run, but I could tell the nest boxes had really been scratched around in. How exciting!!!!

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    That is a little early. I think that most hens will lay at about 18 weeks.

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Congrats!!! Some breeds start at 17-18 weeks on average but I have seen some posts about 15 - 16 week old pullets laying. Make sure you have oyster shell available, I prefer to keep it in a dish available at all times so the girls can supplement what they need... Enjoy that first egg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

4. Lola12

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks, yes, I will get some oyster shell...wasn't prepared this early. And today I found egg #2! This one was actually in a nest box instead of on the ground! Thinking it might be a different hen...same size, but this one is much darker. How exciting!!!!

5. lizzy06019

lizzy06019 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Connecticut
    Congrats!!!! We got our first egg today too! Our girls are 20 weeks old today. What a thrill to find that first egg. This was our very first egg ever from our very first flock we raised from day olds.

6. Lola12

Feb 25, 2010
    Me too Lizzy! First ever egg, first ever chickens! Also got mine at 1 day old.....they've been a joy. So glad I decided to take the plunge and do this! Congrats to you!

7. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Congrats to you both!
    Most of my girls turned 16 weeks old today... can't wait for the first egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by