First egg from first chickens.

KyCoop

Songster
Oct 23, 2020
Central Kentucky
My 21 wk old White LH Betty laid her first egg! I'm so happy for her. It is small of course but it was clean and perfect. These are my first chickens so I'm really excited.
20210227_131849.jpg

Congratulations! It never gets old, finding fresh eggs. And once you get used to the taste, it's very hard going back to store bought eggs. Do you have more pullets close to laying?

I have another WLH, a BLK Australorp, a BR, a SS and a SLW all 21 wks. I also have a Barnevelder and a GLW 23 wks old. I know they mature at different ages so I'm curious who will be next.

I have another WLH, a BLK Australorp, a BR, a SS and a SLW all 21 wks. I also have a Barnevelder and a GLW 23 wks old. I know they mature at different ages so I'm curious who will be next.
Whoever has the reddest comb! You might even see them squatting if you get near which means the hormones are kicking in. And sometimes they will start investigating the nests a week or so in advance of laying.

Whoever has the reddest comb! You might even see them squatting if you get near which means the hormones are kicking in. And sometimes they will start investigating the nests a week or so in advance of laying.
The Australorp is bright bright red. I had noticed Betty (the egg layer) puffing up and wagging her tail a lot a few days before she laid.

The Australorp is bright bright red. I had noticed Betty (the egg layer) puffing up and wagging her tail a lot a few days before she laid.
At least you will be able to tell the eggs apart. I have a blue Australorp (named Betty Bloop!). She was the first to lay of my recent group of pullets. Bright red comb too.

Back
Top Bottom