First Egg! From my Barred Rock...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by phoenix rooster, Nov 23, 2008.

1. phoenix rooster

phoenix rooster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I have finally joined the club![​IMG] She was squatting for about a week with a red face, and today was the day! I think my other BR has 2-3 weeks to go until she lays. Can't wait! The white eggs are large store bought.

[​IMG]

2. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Hey ,Some people would think we were crazy if they new how happy we get over that first egg ,I know just how you feel ,How old is she ?[​IMG]

3. chicken quartet

chicken quartet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    Please tell us how old she is! I have 2 BRs that are 18 weeks and still no eggs.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] Congrats!!!!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Good job.

I've noticed that most of my Barred Rocks are laying "creme" colored eggs... they are very LIGHT brown. Also, some of them have 'whitish' ears... I guess McMurray sent me some BR crosses.

6. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Congratulations,

I am in the Uk, and my chickens are a cross between barred Plymouth Rocks and RIRs, here they are called Black Rocks here and I got my first egg this week, looks like a twin. lol...

I am sure you feel really good, I was so excited. Had one each day since and another girl looks very much like she is close to starting soon.

What clever girls they are.

Jena.

7. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    [​IMG] [​IMG] That is super! Congrats on that first egg!! [​IMG]

8. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Congrats on your first egg. Mine started laying about 2 weeks ago and my daughter acts eggcited each morning! What a wonderful thing! [​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    So cool! [​IMG] Have you eaten it yet?

10. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    phoenix rooster: first timer, with 15 red stars, 10 australops, too many cochin chicks, 2 barred rocks. and i want more next year..........don't tell the wife...pls...

Yay!!

I see a mix of chickens there and the 1st to lay was a Barred Rock, correct?

I've never had Red Stars, altho' my brother was happy with them for years. My 2 Barred Rocks are the same age as the 2 Black Australorps. I'd expected the Black Australorps (my long-time favorite laying hens) to lay first - they are a little smaller birds than the BR's.

It wasn't the case:
    1st BR layed at 21 weeks [​IMG],
    2nd BR at 22 weeks
    1st BA layed at 24 weeks,
    2nd BA still hasn't produced an egg and she's 25 weeks old [​IMG]!

Steve​

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by