First egg from my leghorn today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Harvest, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Harvest

Harvest Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Danbury
    I have been noticing the wattle color on one of the leghorns this week and wondering if laying was coming. Today, I noticed "Broody" in the hen house instead of out in the yard with the other girls. I peeked in and saw her looking in the nesting box and there it was ! Her first egg !
    Now she keeps going back in the house to look for her egg. I shut the door for about an hour after she went outside but she went back in as soon as I open the door again.
    No noise accompanied her egg...Can't wait for tomorrow...This one is a bit small but it is a beautiful egg !

2. Marion565

Marion565 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

and congratulations on your first Leghorn egg.
    Lot's of people don't like leghorns but I love mine. They lay every day and sometimes I am wondering how a big egg like that can come out of a little bird like that [​IMG]
    So don't worry the eggs will get bigger.

3. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    My leghorns were the 2 I saved that got beaten up at work. They both have a special thing with me. Especially the one that needed medicine as they pecked her rear open. I put the blue meds on, and it turned her purple. Well, the other chicks could see the purple, and they continued to peck her. I hand fed and watered her for weeks at work, and she kept making progress. That is why I put the name up, "saving purple" (butt). I ran out of empty tanks at work, and decided to buy her. She needed me. No one wanted a purple chciken, and if the chicks at work were picking on her, then anyone that was to buy her, and add her to their bunch, well I just felt that I was sending her to her death. She loves to get up and sit eye to eye with me, and talks to me:)

I can't wait to have mine start laying. Purple Butt is about 14/15 weeks, and the other leghorn is one week younger. They both are just starting to turn red, and the combs are getting bigger.

Congratulations after all my ramblings about my 2 leghorns !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by