First egg from one of my 5 month old EEs today!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsbos, Jan 7, 2011.

1. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    I couldn't believe it!! Two of my 3 EEs had seen significant comb development and reddening in the last month. One EE in particular, Touhou, was all of a sudden singing what I thought HAD to be the egg song each morning. It was a loud bok bok bok BAGOK that I had never heard before and not from any of the other pullets. Each time I heard it, I ran outside and checked for an egg......nothing. That was two weeks ago. Then today, on this rainy, yukky, snow melting, blustery morning, I went out to feed the chickens their breakfast and let them out of the coop/run, and there the egg was, right in the middle of the floor of the run. Of course I ran in screaming to my husband and all 3 of my kids, "AN EGG AN EGG!" I wanted to go out and hug all of my chickens---and I wish I knew for SURE it was Touhou. My other girl "Chickie" developed the comb and reddening well before Touhou, but I never heard her singing. My third pullet "Fluffy" is the late bloomer, though all 3 are supposed to be the same age (got them as day old chicks). I wasn't expecting eggs from any of them until around February when they'd be 6 months old.

The green egg is very small, and I wonder if they will all lay green eggs, or if it's possible I could get the pink or blue coloring from one of the others. Chickie and Fluffy look almost identical, but Touhou has way different feather coloring. It would be nice if they all laid different colored eggs, so I knew which egg belonged to which girl. I also hope I can somehow coach them to lay in the nest box, and not on the coop floor where the egg got all dirty. Would putting a golf ball in the nest box help?
    My EEs 1st egg compared to a store bought egg
    [​IMG]

The pic below is my girl Touhou (taken this past October)
    [​IMG]

The other two girls have this coloring (pic of Chickie taken last month)
    [​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    [​IMG] She'll probably get use to the nest box. Sometimes the first egg or 2 takes them by surprise. [​IMG]

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats great! Congrats to you! [​IMG]

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats. I use a ceramic bait egg to give them a hint on where to lay. I also wrote some messages on the egg so they had something to read while laying.

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    A beautiful olive egg!! Congrats! It will get bigger and bigger.

6. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    I am still waiting on my first EE egg... one of my red sex link hens is now laying!! The first egg was on Dec. 26, 2010
    They were all hatched on July 31, 2010. So I am hoping in the next few weeks they will all be laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by