FIRST EGG from our Welsummer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NinetreesMom, Sep 10, 2012.

1. NinetreesMom

NinetreesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Dixie, WA
    Ava, our Welsummer, just laid her first egg this morning. It is the beautiful speckled dark brown one. Small but gorgeous! Also in the picture is a small egg from our Silver-laced Wyandotte Peep (the small smooth brown one) and at the top is an egg from Glenda our Rhode Island Red. She is about 18 months old and has been faithfully laying an egg a day... good size reference as her eggs are consistently large. Now I just need a pic of Marshmallow's second egg (she's our Coronation Sussex who laid one egg a week ago that I failed to photograph, but non since ?!)
    The second pic is Ava, the Hen of the Day in our household :)
    I'm so proud!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats! Ava's gorgeous! Marshmallow will probably lay another egg for you soon. They sometimes take awhile to get into this egg laying habit. Enjoy!

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Nice Gorgeous Egg Miss Ava!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Congrats on such a pretty egg! [​IMG]

5. NinetreesMom

Aug 15, 2012
    Dixie, WA
    Sumi;
    Thanks for the reassurance about Marshmallow...I figured this was probably the case as she is otherwise perfectly healthy, but it is nice to hear from someone who knows!

6. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I am SO jealous my 2 Wellies will be 20 weeks on Wed. I can't wait til they start laying. I think one of them may have laid twice but her coloring just isn't quiet right yet. I have gotten 2 eggs that are not the normal coloring for my SS girls eggs. But I am not 100% sure it was a Wellie.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

8. NinetreesMom

Aug 15, 2012
    Dixie, WA

I know the feeling. Ava is not quite 22 weeks, so don't lose heart! My five-year-old can't wait to eat the "chocolate" egg... hope she's not too disappointed ;-)

9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Congrats on the beautiful egg! I hope that is not a "current" picture of Ava, or my Welsummers better get on the stick, as I have several with much bigger combs & wattles, but no eggs! They only turned 21 weeks yesterday, so I guess I'll give them some time. Where did you get Ava from? I would be happy with such a nice egg from mine. Enjoy.

10. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Gorgeous! We have four Welsummers that will be 24 weeks on Saturday. No egg yet, but one of them has been investigating the nest boxes quite a bit, so I think it is just a matter of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by