First egg hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dpears28, Aug 6, 2013.

1. dpears28

dpears28 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2013
    Superior, Wi
    Hi, I'm very new to this who chicken thing and have had my flock this year only. My family had discussed that if any of our hens got broody we would let her and see if things happen naturally. Well they did! Bonnie and Clyde are proud parents! :) Problem is I don't know what to do now. I have placed Bonnie (proud momma) and her remaining eggs plus the new baby in a new cage because it was the only way I could separate them but leave them in the coop with everyone else. Now I don't know how much to do or not to do from there. I'm very nervous and super excited! I'm already attached (of course) and want to do whatever is in my power to keep this baby, and possible others if they hatch, alive. Please, any help or advice you can give is much appreciated. Also if you know of a better place to post this (I'm not sure if this belonged here) please let me know that as well. Thank you!

Dani- first time chicken-er! :)

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    your best thing to do: sit on your hands and let nature run its course. you did right by separating them, the rest is up to her. if she doesn't hatch any more, you might look around for someone local selling chicks and add a couple more "playmates" she should accept them just fine.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats on your first hatch! I agree with the above, sit on your hands, give them time. In my experience with broody hatches the chicks usually hatch over a 2-3 day period, after which the hen will get up and start taking care of the chicks, show them food and water etc. Offer them all chick crumbs. The hen can eat it too, even if it's medicated. But do not offer them, or let the hen have access to, layer feed (she will offer it to the chicks). The high calcium content of layer feed is harmful to chicks' and young chickens' kidneys. Make sure you offer water in a shallow dish, and/or fill it with clean pebbles/marbles to prevent accidental drownings.

Once the hatch is complete and the broody is up and about with the chicks you can let her mingle with the flock and raise her chicks in with the flock, which is ideal. Let them get to know and accept the youngsters while they are still under mom's protection. She will most likely wean them when they are around 6-7 weeks old, though some hens hang on to them a bit longer.

Enjoy your chicks!

1 person likes this.
  4. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    im glad sumi came along here. when i do use a broody hen, i switch to unmedicated starter for her and the chicks. i also make sure i have shallow waterers for the chicks. the reason i use unmedicated starter is most hen raised chicks will never get cocci and thats what the medicine is for.

also [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by