First Egg Hatching Attempt - Unsuccessful

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ClucksnDucksMI, Nov 27, 2013.

1. ClucksnDucksMI

ClucksnDucksMI Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    On November 2 at 9:30pm I put my first batch of eggs into the incubator. I kept temperatures steady and humidity was fine. I removed the infertile ones.

It's now November 27th and not one pip yet. I seen the eggs moving yesterday, and I candled a couple today. I did see movement in a couple, and but none in some of the others.

My question is, when do I call it a complete unsuccessful try and discard the eggs? I'm so heartbroken :(

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    aww, dont be heartbroken. it sounds like there is some still alive. if your thermometer is off a little it will take a little longer to hatch. try upping the humidity some more and give it another day. like anything else, they come when their ready

3. terribabe69

terribabe69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2013
    Aiken, SC
    Maybe they are waiting for Thanksgiving to hatch! Im really hoping that they hatch for you. Keep us posted on the progress.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i didnt ask, what size eggs are they?

5. ClucksnDucksMI

Nov 3, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    They are medium sized eggs, cross between a leghorn hen and polish rooster.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    figures, polish! slow at everything!lol if you definitely see movement no worries yet. but they might need help. possibly turned wrong? can you see if they have done an internal pip? have you ever done an assisted hatch?

7. ClucksnDucksMI

Nov 3, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I have not. And I'm not quite sure how to tell if they have done the internal pip. One air sac looks extremely huge in space, compared to the others. And it looked like I could see a beak through it. Not quite sure...

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    and that is what it would look like. before i go any farther i will tell you im no expert, not even close to it but i have hatched a few. would you like to proceed?

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    did i scare you? lol

10. ClucksnDucksMI

Nov 3, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Hahah, a little. Which is funny - when it comes to horses, I've assisted with births, surgeries and all kinds of emergency stuff. But these little chicks have me more nervous than a first time Mamma LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by