1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First egg HELP!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by meganlovesducks, Jan 13, 2010.

1. meganlovesducks

meganlovesducks New Egg

Jan 13, 2010
    I have 4 Rouen ducks (1male 3females) and last night one of the girls was acting weird. Today, she is very protective and made a nest in the duck house for her egg. I cant have another duck since ducks are illegal where i live. I don't know what to do with it and i would feel to bad taking it away and letting the egg die. Any suggestions???? Thanks!!!

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Eat it!! Duck eggs are very good! As long as you collect the eggs regularly, they will not start to develop.

BTW Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  3. meganlovesducks

meganlovesducks New Egg

Jan 13, 2010
    has it started to develop after a day or two???

4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    No, it won't start to develop until she sets on it for a few days. Ducks and chickens usually lay a *clutch* of eggs ( 5 to 15 in quantity) before they set on them to start the incubation. That way they all hatch within a day or so at the end of incubation.
    So unless she is setting on them full time, they aren't developing.

5. meganlovesducks

meganlovesducks New Egg

Jan 13, 2010
    Well. i took them away. i feel awful for the mom [​IMG] she has been sitting on them all day and then they are just gone but i guess that's what always happens.

6. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    she'll be ok... I know you feel bad, but she'll go back to just being a duck doing duck things pretty quickly [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by