First Egg..Hurray...BR, 20 week old - Cant hold off the excitement

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rosiethechicken, Aug 7, 2010.

1. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I have been waiting eagerly for last few days and complaining our BRs not laying .
    Lo and Behold, one tiny, round, beautiful egg this morning 7:30 AM and second one around 2 PM.
    Not sure if they are from same BR or different.
    All our BRs(5) freerange, but these two eggs were in the nest box, so hope others will
    follow and continue to lay in the nest boxes.

See the first tiny egg in the nest box in this picture.

Store bought (left most), second egg from afternoon and first egg from the morning, in that order

Based on size and color of two eggs, wondering if they are from same BR.
  2. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    Hello and congratulations!!

I'm a newbie but was reading an interesting post the other day on the miracle of the egg.
    I read that a hen takes approximately 26 hours to develop and lay an egg, so if she were
    laying each and every day, it would be 2 hours later the next day. Guess this goes till the
    afternoon, at which time the hen will wait till the next morning to lay the egg.

So if that information is correct, it would be impossible to have the same hen lay both eggs since
    it was only 7-8 hours later.

I hope that more knowledgeable people will chime in. Cannot wait for our first egg!!!
  3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I doubt they came from the same girl. cograts you must be proud!![​IMG]
  4. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Out of my flock the BR's were the first to lay, congratulation's. It's a great feeling. And yes , you have two laying!
  5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats....looks like you have two girls that started laying!! [​IMG]:cd:cd
  6. rosiethechicken

Aug 2, 2010
    Thanks all. Its truely amazing feeling.
    Should I leave the eggs in the nests to keep their encouragement going
    or they are on track once they start laying (except those heat and other factors) ?
  7. rosiethechicken

Aug 2, 2010
    Out of 5 BRs we have, I have gotten 2 eggs on the first day (8/7/10).
    And only 1 egg since then.

I have been tracking the egg times (approximately) and seems like only one
    chicken is laying (duh..).

Now, is it possible no one else is laying and the same chicken layed on first day
    or do we have second chicken that layed on first day but stopped or hiding eggs from that day on ?
  8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The only eggs you should leave in the nest are dummy eggs, not laid eggs.

I have kept golf balls in the nest boxes since the very beginning, because I have new layers coming on board now.... so, why move 'em out? Besides, as those golf balls get moved around, mysteriously, from nest to nest, I like to see where they show up next!
  9. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 BR's who have very red faces and have been checking out the nest boxes but no squats yet. The color of your egg is much like one I collected day before yesterday and today...I 'think' it was from one of my sex links but time will tell.

Congrats!! [​IMG]
  10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats! You have 2 girls laying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by