First egg, huzzah!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sandi, Dec 14, 2008.

1. sandi

sandi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Our Buff Orpington--approx 24 weeks old--laid her first egg on Tuesday! A first for us, too.

What a drama queen she was about it! Running around all morning going in and out of bushes, buck-buck-ing, and generally acting agitated. I thought something was wrong. Finally she settled near the kitchen door and did her thing.

Our two girls have the run of the yard, so we have feared that they would begin to lay in some random place and we would not know. But she has now returned to the same spot for 4 eggs--Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday.

It is thrilling to walk out and pick up an egg, still hot. I am still amazed each time!

Wow, wow, wow!
    --Sandi

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Congrats!! I still come in from the coop all happy after collecting eggs and mine have been laying for months!

3. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Well gosh if I had to basically give BIRTH every 25 hours I would all OVER the drama! Sweet MOTHER everyone would know! [​IMG]

Congrats! Nice of her to leave them by the door.

4. sandi

sandi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    By the way, we scrambled the first one so we could all taste. It was awesome. We are now saving up enough to have a proper meal.

I was surprised to get eggs two days in a row. I thought this breed was only a 'moderate' layer. I am just so proud of the girl!

5. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    im not sure i would say :moderate" lol.

6. beck77

beck77 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Cedar Bluff Va
    [​IMG] good for you [​IMG]

7. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Lol... good for you.

My girls are about the same age and one is now laying regularly, and has just been joined by another in the last few days, and a third is laying like every other day but she is a real drama queen about it. I was laughing so much at the puck - pucking, she creates such a fuss.

I was torn the first day betwen laughter and concern fo her. But from being the mild little girl of the group she is now the real Prima Donna.

Sh even woke my son one morning with the racket, and that is something I failed to do ever...lol.

the others are regular as clockwork, but this lady, Sarah, really lets us know every time she lays. but she is a beauty.

Good for you with your first of many,

Jena.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by