First egg in a nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by daddy_roo, Sep 17, 2011.

1. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    I was so excited, today I came home from work to find an egg in the nest I dug into the ground. Not only that but there was a hen on the nest. This was the first time I ever had to get a hen off the nest. I found out that she did not even remotely like the idea of me taking the egg out from under her. She squaked and squeeled, and followed me while I was in the coop. It was kinda funny.

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] congratz

3. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    How egg-citing!!! Congratulations!! I'm new to all this chicken stuff, why did you dig a nest? I've only heard of nest boxes ...and some chickens ignoring them! Are yours free rangers? Thanks.

4. soccerbabiesmama

soccerbabiesmama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    [​IMG]:woot

5. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    No My chickens do not free roam because I live in the city limits. They are kept in a coop that I have built under my mother in laws back porch(that is a walk out) I have 6 hens and 2 roos and could not get any of them to even look at the nest. So I dug it into the ground to put it on their level just to get them started using it. So far I have gotten 2 eggs in it. I dug it in about a week ago, and they just started laying eggs in it. I caught a few of them early on laying down in it, but not laying eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by