First egg is a double-yoker. A good sign?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhetoric, Aug 26, 2008.

1. rhetoric

rhetoric Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Western New York
    Our first batch of chickens (ever) includes Minerva (a dominique) and she started laying this week. We are keeping the day 1 egg for posterior's sake but the day two egg was a double-yoke. I know it's bad luck to be superstitious, but we're hoping this is a good sign.

She's also laying her eggs next to the nestors instead of in them. Sigh. I know it's bad luck to be superstitious, but we're hoping this isn't a bad sign.
    Minerva actually got into the nestor, flipped the heavy wooden decoy eggs out onto the coop floor and was trying to hatch them.

Still, the other 4 from our first batch (brahma, americaunas, another dominique) just sit at the buffet and eat.

2. simba49450

simba49450 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    hi and congrats!!

i had a leghorn that always laid a double yolker, its a great thing, except poor girl you know that had to hurt, maybe she is one of the very few and rare ones that does all the time, who knows but dont feel bad i thought too at one point that it was a once in a lifetime thing but when she did it all the time i found out then that its a rare thing especially a hen that lays a huge double yolker everyday. and congrats again shes a keeper:D

3. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    A few years ago, I started out with 4 hens and that first summer they started laying, I got several double yolkers. In the years since, I have had maybe 1 or 2. So I am wondering...what makes a double yolk egg? Is it the chicken or what they are eating? Someone once said it is protein but then I would've thought I'd have gotten some more since then because my chickens have been eating the same...

4. simba49450

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    at least with mine she did it naturally, i use plain grit (which i buy cause they are penned) and regular feed from the store and mine laid the doubles all the time i found out later that its a rare thing to have, it was a leghorn that laid the doubles while the other leghorn was just singles, its just one of those things. but its soo cool when you have one that does

5. razz

razz New Egg

Aug 26, 2008
    hi,
    Want to know the odds of this is as i always thought it was very rare.From a pack of 12 free range large sized eggs we have cracked open 4 so far, and every one has been a double-yoker!!!
    =========================================
    raz

Delaware Alcohol Addiction Treatment

6. simba49450

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    i forget what the odds are right off hand, but just be glad that you have one or more chickens that do lay doubles, i know i was

7. chickiedoodle

chickiedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    From what I understand, double yolks are like fraternal twins in humans--the ovaries simply release two eggs instead of one. In chickens, they don't usually (ever?) hatch and they are more common in young hens, which probably explains getting more the first year and from the first eggs.

8. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    I have 31 girls, some of whom have just started laying. Saturday we had scrambled eggs for breakfast and five of the eight eggs I used were double yolkers. Not huge eggs, but every egg bigger than a little pullet egg had two little yolks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by