1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Egg Is HERE !!!! [Pics]

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CoffeeCow, Oct 30, 2010.

1. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I was out picking up pine cones and passed by the run, the ladies looked hungry, so I pulled up some sprouts for them and threw them in the run (I planted some of their scratch, and feed them the sprouts when they are coming up) Normally everyone comes a running and dives in, but I did a head count and only got 8 instead of 9.. then I noticed Scruffy sitting under the ramp to the coop. Her comb has been a lot redder than the rest of them, so I decided to go in and check on her. As I went to pet her, she got up and headed to the back of the run and then squatted and out came the coolest green egg, and it landed in the dirt... lol ! I didn't have the camera on me, but I snatched up the egg and went inside, heres some pics for you [​IMG]

**EDIT**
    For those wondering, our Easter eggers were hatched on May 23. I wasn't really expecting an egg this month. But was happy to see it [​IMG]

Here is your standard comparison shot that I see everyone do:
    [​IMG]

It was laid on October 30, so I would classify that as a Halloween egg!!
    [​IMG]

Here it is next to a Large store bought egg. I think it would be classified as a "small or Medium egg, prolly small.
    [​IMG]

And here is the Proud Hen (I can call her a Hen now right?) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. gramakoko

gramakoko Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Beautiful! I need some of that candy corn too.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Congratulation on the egg. Don't give the egg to the trick or treaters they will only egg your house.I could be wrong but I thought they were pullets until one year old.

4. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    I love your pics; how eggciting...a halloween egg treat! I remember getting our first egg; only people with chickens can understand that type of excitement. [​IMG]
    Your little girl will become a hen when she turns one year old; they're considered pullets if they're under a year of age (roosters are considered cockerels until they turn one). Congrats, and thanks for sharing your cool Halloween pics!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  5. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Ooooooooooooooh what a GOOD girl!

I thought I was the only goofball who took a picture of the first eggs! I felt like a grandma, LOL! My co-workers eyes glaze over when I start talking about the girls.... and they give me that "special" look at times.

But, I don't care! My girls work hard for those eggs, and so did I!

Did you eat it?

6. CoffeeCow

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    Quote:I get that look myself hehe,
    and no, she just laid it, I am planning on having Breakfast for supper though [​IMG]

7. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    very pretty! Congratulations! [​IMG]

8. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Congrats on your first egg! I have an EE that looks just like yours does, I'm glad to see that yours laid a green egg. I'm hoping mine will lay green or blue eggs, any day now! My girls have been squatting for almost 2 weeks & no eggs yet!! [​IMG]

9. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Beautiful Scruffy and beautiful egg! Nice size for her first! Congrats! [​IMG]

10. CoffeeCow

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    Scruffy is one of the smallest ladies, Hopefully, the eggs (and her) will get a bit bigger [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by