first egg kills chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jwelch, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jwelch

jwelch New Egg

Aug 11, 2008
    Can a chicken die while laying an egg? I think that is what happened today with one of my chickens. She seemed to be trying to pass an egg, (her first) and when I went back an hour later she was dead. Anyone ever heard of this before?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    The two times in a chicken's life with the highest mortality is when they are new babies and then again when they first hit egg laying age. Getting the egg production started is very hard on them and sometimes it's just too much for an individual.

Sorry about your girl.

3. chicken_ladyGA

chicken_ladyGA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Chatsworth,Georgia
    Im sorry to hear about your girl !!

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I am shocked and so extrememly saddened by your loss. Atleast you know she was loved and appreciated. Don't let this be a hinderence to raising the rest of your girls and enjoying the joy of happy hens.

5. chick-e-chick

chick-e-chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    Sorry to hear that, it's really sad.

6. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    :aww

7. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I had no idea that their first egg could be their last! Is it rare for this to happen? I am sorry about your little hen:( .

8. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    So sorry for your loss. Wow, I did not know this could happen. Another thing for me to worry about......

Again, I am so sorry for your loss :aww

9. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    wow, that's crazy. Did you do a home necropsy??? It would be interesting to find out whether she really had an egg inside her when this happened. If so, you may want to look into egg binding and see if there was a problem with her diet, cause if she had a problem your other hens may have a problem. Let us know!!!

10. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Wow, I've never heard of that. So sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by