First Egg laid on 12/11/15 but nothing since

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Joleneschickens, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Joleneschickens

Joleneschickens New Egg

Sep 23, 2015
    Tampa,FL
    My cuckoo Moran laid her first egg on Friday 12/11/15 but we have not gotten another egg since. She is very social with the other five girls who should lay any day now. She runs to us everytime she sees to get hugs. The only difference in routine that I have noticed is that all six girls are extremely thirsty and no longer are eating from their feed. They spend the entire day foraging in the backyard so I'm not too worried about them being hungry.We have 1 five gallon bucket of water with bird nipple and three 1 gallon water stations set up throughoutthe yard for them. The weather here is in the 80s with a low of 69 at night.Are we doing something wrong? Is it normal not to get another egg for five days after the first one?

[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's normal. A newly laying pullet can take several weeks to begin laying regularly.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    x2

4. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Its not worrisome for a pullet to lay sporadically. I would keep an eye out for hidden nests in the yard if they free range most of the day. Hens can be greedy about their eggs lol!

5. Joleneschickens

Joleneschickens New Egg

Sep 23, 2015
    Tampa,FL
    Thank you. Now all four of our girls are laying eggs regularly. Our Plymouth lay all the time. I find it funny that there are four nesting boxes but they fight over one nesting box. Here are our first 29 eggs as of 1/4/16[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by