First egg no singing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sillyshells, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Sillyshells

Sillyshells Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Pocatello
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Just had our first egg! Wow! I can't believe it! I was just wondering about it this morning!!! I clicked a link on a yo tube video and heard about the same noise form the coop throught he window. I walked out and one of our white ones was in the box. Her comb was really pale and I. as I watched I heard the drop. But she didn't start singing afterwards? She remained really pale and still squatting? I started petting her and she didn't give me a response so I picked her up and petted her a bit and offered her some fresh cold water. She seemed to perk up just a bit after a few minutes. I've put her back in with the other chickens. Is this normal??

2. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Nope, mine isn't singing either. My ~18 week old Dominique started laying on Thursday last week, there was no song afterwards. And there was none yesterday when she layed again.

And she always picks the worst time of the day to do it, too - mid day, when it is unbearably hot!

Congrats on the egg!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  3. Sillyshells

Sillyshells Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Pocatello
    are they supposed to be tired acting after wards? I guess it would a hard job?

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    i dont get an egg song, and yea they do seem tired after its alot of work giving birth

5. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Yes, I think so. Mine was kind of out of sorts, but caught up with the rest pretty fast.

6. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Congrats!! We just got our first one yesterday, and our second just now from the same girl. I was lucky enough to walk in just in time to see both happen, and I noticed the same thing as you - my chicken (a White Rock) was really quiet during the egg and afterward. She made a few purring noises and cooed a little but that was it. I did see her do the egg song today (just one stanza) when she was getting ready to lay - she was in a box and was getting stared down by an EE that's been picking on everyone lately. It seemed like she was maybe telling the other chicken to back off? The few times I've heard the egg song it's been only when my chickens are really freaked out. I would interpret it to be a warning call maybe? But I'm really new to this, maybe my chickens are just weird.

Mine sat in the nest for a minute after I heard the egg drop too - I read somewhere that they like to hide out and recover for a little while after they lay, I think because other chickens will peck them if they see part of the cloaca sticking out. Congrats on your first egg! I hope it's as delicious as mine was!

7. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    Mine don't sing the egg song for eggs. They think the egg song is actually a "something scared me!" song. So whenever they get freaked out or separated or they see a predator that's the only time I will hear them sing. [​IMG]

8. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Some of them sing, Some others never,and others sing sometimes. There is not a rule , here. And they stayed for a long while in the nest, recovering.
    [​IMG]
    Alicia, anouncing her greenish egg....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by