1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First egg... Now nothing!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lwente, Feb 8, 2014.

1. lwente

lwente Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2014
    Medford, Oregon
    So I had my Americana lay her first egg about two weeks ago... And have had nothing since. Is this normal? She is one of 5 that are about 6 months old.
    Her little egg:
    [​IMG]

2. CrazyChookLady5

CrazyChookLady5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    if she's only just started laying, I'd say that it's normal, but she may have lice or something, I had a lice problem and it did stop some of my chooks from laying for a while

hope this helps :D

3. Sweepy

Sweepy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2013
    Virginia
    We had that happen to us. It made me so frustrated. We got 3 eggs over about a week (we yhink frim yhe sane chick) and then nothing for another 8 weeks and this was out first flock! We finally added artificial light and got things moving again. I'm sorry to say that I do t have any advice it suggestions for you. The feedback I kept getting didn't apply. They went molting, they were old enough, I understood they would produce less during short daylight hours but I didn't think it was cause for stopping completely. Anyway, hang in there. It's frustrating but hopefully any day now you'll be in business.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it can be normal. Some pullets need time for their bodies to adjust to laying. If she has the ability to hide eggs, I'd be looking around as well. (they can be sneaky too)

5. lwente

lwente Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2014
    Medford, Oregon
    Ya, I was wondering about her hiding them. They are free range and there are lots of places she could hide them. But I figured since her first egg was in the nest box she would keep laying there. Would she up and change nesting locations so quickly?

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Just watch her and see if she sneaks off somewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by