First EGG!!! Now some???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by my first peepers, Oct 28, 2008.

1. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    One of my EEs layed her first egg today, it is the cutest little thing! But it is a light brown/pinkish color...what happened to green/blue? All three EEs look very similar, will any of them lay green/blue eggs?
    Also she layed it on the ground in the run ( glad I checked there!). She has been spending time arranging the nest box...is it a matter of time before she figures it out? I do have a dummy egg in there already.
    Here is Dotty and her egg:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=10699&l=8ab22&id=1187285303

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Not all of the EE's lay colored eggs, BUT, if she just started laying the color COULD change !! She should learn how to use the nest box, when they first lay sometimes the eggs are layed in odd places, Good luck.

3. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    Thanks!
    I don't really understand how the egg color thing works...does a light colored egg like we got mean she comes from one white egg laying parent and one brown egg laying parent?

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

EE's will lay green, blue, pinkish, yellow, light brown and sometimes white.
    So far my EE lays blue/green colored eggs.

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first EE egg [​IMG]

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Not sure how that works !!!! Sorry !!!! But you still have a chance !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by