First Egg of 2008!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by seagullplayer, Jan 25, 2008.

1. seagullplayer

seagullplayer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Bought our Red Jungle Fowl Jan 7th at an auction, guy said they should start laying in about three weeks (old enough). It has been so cold, hard to keep water; they have had to adjust to their new home. I figured at least March before I see any eggs.
    Last night my son took his turn going to the barn, and he comes back with our first egg! [​IMG]

We have been without chickens for about two years; I forgot how exciting that first egg can be. [​IMG]

2. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    yea eggie!
    you should take a photo and post it in the "first eggs" strand!
    [​IMG]

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Awesome!

Do you have light in your coop? I ask because I got my birds on Jan 8. One pullet has a face that is so very red...but I'm not supplementing light in the coop. And neither was the guy I got them from. So, I was also thinking no eggs till March.

I'd love to be surprised by an egg!

4. seagullplayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yes, I keep two lights on all the time, one helps keeps some chicks warm, the other to light up the barn.

The barn is a good ways from the house, and we live in the country, I keep a radio playing and light burning all the time. It reallys helps keep the wild animals away from the chickens. It's not 100% fool proof, but it sure helps.

In the past, I have been known to string flashing Christmas lights up in the barn to help keep "things" away. I think the moving shadows from the flashing lights helps...

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Nothing like an egg to brighten your day!!!

6. seagullplayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Two of them today! [​IMG]

OK, I promise I won't do this again. [​IMG]

Even my 17 year old son was excited today. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by