First egg of the season!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stanglover2001, Jul 30, 2010.

1. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    So me and the DH decided to start chickens this year, since I saw those cute lil fuzzy butts at TSC. We bought 14, out of those 14 eight of them were hens (3 SLW, 3 Light Brahma bantams, 1 NHR, and a white chicken). Today they are officially all 18 1/2 weeks old, and I opened up the coop and what do I find hiding in the corner on the ground? A light brown egg!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I went to my cell phone and called everyone!! So naturally had to tell more people! The egg was broken on the edge but I think it hit the ground to hard, whoever laid it did so on the ground (moved all the pine shavings out of the way). So now I don't know who laid it [​IMG] I don't think it was the white chicken (do white chickens only lay white eggs?) So today the DH had to finish the layer box, since we didn't know they'd start this early.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] Congrats!
    Isn't that first one exciting?
    Hard to say who laid it. SLW and NHR lay brown eggs(not sure about LB). If your white chicken is a leghorn, she'll lay white eggs, but no, all white chickens don't lay white eggs(my White Plymouth Rocks lay nice brown eggs).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by