First egg on the way?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wildspiritedelz, Aug 27, 2013.

1. wildspiritedelz

wildspiritedelz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Gloucestershire, uk
    One of the light Sussex hybrids has got a huge red swollen bottom.. Does this mean she is about to lay an egg? She keeps squatting and I can see she's straining down there.... Ideas? I've never owned chickens so don't have a clue what I should/shouldn't do!

Thank you lady's and gents for your help!

xxx

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How long has she been like this? If she hasn't passed an egg since your post, then she is most likely egg bound. Give her a 15-30 minute soak in 90-95 degree F. water to help relax her muscles. Then take her out, dry her the best you can, and let her rest. You can also give her some calcium (either in the form of egg shell, oyster shell, or a human calcium pill) to help strengthen her oviduct muscles.

3. wildspiritedelz

Aug 27, 2013
    Gloucestershire, uk
    She's been like this since yesterday afternoon around 3ish... Now it's 9:50am and she's still in the same state! She's oy just approaching 20wks of age... Do you think she's probably egg bound? Il try the bath, my friend is comin over to help me xxx

4. wildspiritedelz

Aug 27, 2013
    Gloucestershire, uk
    Ended up the chicken with red bottom was going to die and the one with affected leg had a stroke (according to my very knowledgeable friend). So I sent all four back to where they came from... When I told my friend that I bought them from fosters chickens she told they they are terrible! I only wish I had co silted her before buying chickens! But we both went off and bought lovely healthy chickens today that she helped me pick! They are beauts fx they will be here for a very long egg laying time! xxx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by