First egg or soccer ball?

FeatherstoneFrm

Songster
Aug 1, 2014
Appling, GA
I was hanging out with my chickens this morning and suddenly realized they were playing with something. Closer inspection showed they were playing soccer with a small lt brown egg. When I picked it up, it was quite warm so just laid.
There was no sound or wierd behaviors. I had just thrown some scratch on the ground so they were all just scratching around together and, surprise!
I hope now she will figure out what the nest boxes are for.
I also don't know if it was Hazel, the Australorp, or Big Red, the RIR.
Maybe if I hang out at the same time tomorrow I'll find out.
...yay first egg!!!...

I bought the fake eggs today. I checked their pelvic bones yesterday and they are both about the same so whoever laid this one, the other should be far behind with her first. The New Hampshire Red that is the same age is nowhere near ready. The others are 10 weeks so we will have lots of first eggs to come.
So eggciting!

Yay! Congrats!!! You should be able to tell by color once they're both laying. The Rhode Island's eggs should be a few shades darker brown than the Australorp. My Australorps lay a pretty light tan color.

Yay! Congrats!!! You should be able to tell by color once they're both laying. The Rhode Island's eggs should be a few shades darker brown than the Australorp. My Australorps lay a pretty light tan color.
That's what we have. A pretty little light tan. It's about half the size of what they'll eventually be.. so I guess it is Hazel's egg

Has she made it to the box yet?
She doesn't like the nest boxes so I gave her an open plastic tub, like you would put ice in for a party, with shavings in it. She likes that. It is sitting on top of the wire crate that is the younger chicks safe haven though so now I have to see if she will let me move it since I am ready to move the crate out. It takes up too much room.
I hope I can move the tub to the spot where the other boxes are and move the old ones out. My RIR will be laying soon and I hope she will use the same tub.

I have a marans that won’t stop laying in the feed. :facepalm: she is one of the only ones laying because of heat and molt but I’m hoping she follows along to the best box when the others pick up laying. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom