First Egg Pics!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by operationindigo, Jan 25, 2014.

1. operationindigo

operationindigo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    One of my girls finally laid her first egg! It seems to be a pretty decent one too. I think it's the brown leghorn that laid this one, since it's white. What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. operationindigo

Sep 26, 2013
    Also, I found the egg in a neat pile of bedding under the roost. The girls always sleep in the nest box and don't ever go on the roost. I've tried everything I can think of but I can't really get inside too well to put them up on the roost each night - it's a small coop and its a process to get in there and it freaks them out. I tried blocking the box but they just huddle on the floor. I only have two hens, so it doesn't seem to me to be a huge deal if that's where they're choosing to lay. Is there any reason for me to try to break them of this?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Congrats!

Is the roost higher than the nest?
    Is the roost area free of strong cold drafts?
    Is the roost wide enough to be comfortable? a 2x4 wide side up is a good size

I'd just keep blocking the nests at night.

Keep a couple golf balls in each of the nests all the time, might help them get the idea.

4. operationindigo

Sep 26, 2013
    I'm pretty sure there's not much of a cold draft - I live in FL so its still fairly warm for a winter. They originally weren't higher than the nest box - I bought a coop that was already made and then altered it later and moved them up. Maybe the wood is too narrow. It's about 2-3 inches across. Is it harmful for them though that they aren't sleeping on the roost? I guess I just don't want to make them change if it's really not going to harm them.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    No not harmful if they sleep on the floor, just don't want them sleeping, and pooping up, then nests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by