First egg problems - hen leaking liquid and goo

Katie Pigtails

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 23, 2010
Portland, OR
So I got my first egg today! It came from my Barred Rock. She is about 24 weeks old and has been eating layer pellet for about 4 weeks. When I got home there was a little egg on the coop floor and she was in the nesting box. She didn't get out of the nesting box for quite a while. I finally picked her up out of the box to make sure she was okay. She was much more mellow than normal. I then felt warm wet all down my side. She had filled my pocket with liquid and a rather large chunk of something that looked like cooked egg whites. I set her down to take off my coat and she ran to the water and drank for about 15 minutes. When I went to pick her up again a gusher of water came out of her mouth. I brought her inside and she continued to drink a ton of water. I took the water away and she cried. So I brought her out with her sisters and she started attacking them. Her crop does seem large but I'm guessing it is due to the mass amounts of water she has been drinking. Help! What is wrong with her? These are my first chickens and my very first egg so I don't know much but this seems really wrong!

This is what the goo looked like when I emptied it out of my pocket.

63842_cimg0353.jpg

Last edited:
I have only one experience with this. I checked on mine and she was wet all on her bottom and on the shelf they roost on was fluid. I brought her in and her vent was working like it was trying to expel something. I gave her a warm water soak for a half hour or so and then blew her dry. While I was soaking her she kept drinking lots of water too. She would stick her whole head under the water! After I got her dry I put her back out on the shelf and put paper towels under her. Thankfully by morning she had passed the broken soft shell egg. You can search (if it is working now) for more stories and what people did to try to help. I haven't had any more issues with her and thankfully she has stopped laying right now (they all have). Good luck!
sharon

ETA: just saw the pic. Looks like she may have gotten it all out? Is her vent moving in and out?

Last edited:
The first time one of my RIR's laid a soft shell egg, she was acting funny at bedtime. walking really slow and I noticed some white dribbling from her bottom. When I picked her up a gush of water came out like a womans water breaking. I rushed her inside to the hospital cage right after I got her in she laid a soft shell egg. After that she was fine. No more problems. That pic looks like a soft shell egg. Pretty common with new layers.

Back
Top Bottom