1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Egg Question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cozycrestmom, Sep 7, 2010.

1. cozycrestmom

cozycrestmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Stupid I am sure,,, but when do you start eating the eggs.. ? I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't eat the first few eggs.. Is that correct..?

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Quote:I believe the only time you shouldn't eat them is if the hens are medicated or wormed [​IMG] Otherwise, chow down!!

3. cozycrestmom

cozycrestmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Good thing.. Because as I wrote that, my husband was cooking it up... He just couldn't wait..!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The first egg taste's the best! Eat it! (unless you are worming them)

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    The 1st eggs are the best and most expensive, so you should eat them. P.S congrats [​IMG]

6. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Are you feeding them medicated crumble? That's probably why you've heard that. There's a medication in medicated feed (amprollium?) that can get into the eggs. If you do have them on medicated feed, stop and switch to layer now. I don't think an egg or two would hurt you though. Best to do a search on it to make sure.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If they are on medicated chick starter, I've read you should not eat them if you are allergic to sulfa drugs. (if I remember correctly)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by