First egg questions!!!

franckowiakfarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 25, 2013
Hi...newbie here. My BR just laid her first egg today. I plan to incubate. So, do I take the egg away right away and store it indoors or wait till there are about 10 eggs before I take them. Please help! TIA.

I would take the egg inside and store it in a cool dark place. Also the first few eggs don't usually hatch well, so I would wait about a week before you start collecting them to incubate.

Thank you so much. Just collected the egg and noticed it froze. I hope they all don't start freezing before I collect them. Wondering if I should put another heat light out there (I'm in northern Michigan). I plan to incubate in my basement so that will be where I store the eggs too. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I am in southern Michigan and I have an egg freeze occasionally, but unless the are touching a cold floor or it's single digits outside I don't usually have a problem

I guess I will just have to wait and see. What do you hold your eggs in prior to incubating them? Hope I'm not bothering you with all the questions but I'm curious. What kind of turkeys do you raise?

I just store them in an egg carton. I have a few blue slate x bourbon reds. I will have all kinds hatching soon.

Back
Top Bottom