1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Egg(s)!!! + Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cwittofur, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Cwittofur

Cwittofur Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Southern NH
    So I witnessed my Roosert "Roo-ing" one of my females. I was quite surprised at the display and thought to myself, "If the rooster is mating with that chick she must be ready to lay" I looked in my coop and saw an egg, then two, then three! I was so excited hahaha.

[​IMG]

A photo comparison to show just how tiny the eggs are... Brown Egg from Jumbo Egg Box from store on left, my egg on right.
    [​IMG]

So now that my hens are starting to lay I want to make sure they get everything they need (nutritionally). I had bought Egg Layer Pellets a week ago in anticipation, but I bought Grower Crumbles (They didn't have pellts *grrrr*).

I don't know which of my 5 hens are laying so I don't want to give them too much calcium and my rooster obviously isn't Laying (eggs at least) so I'm not sure how to supply the layer feed to the females who are laying without jeopardizing the health of the others.

Thoughts?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If they are all the same age, its fine to feed them all the layer food now. Congrats on the first eggs!

3. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    mix both finisher and grower and the layer pellets together.........they will be fine!

4. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    Quote:X2

5. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by