First EGG(S)!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BLaBauve, Dec 2, 2009.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    So I found our first 3 eggs today! We have 3 girls that are 8 months old, 2 wyandottes and a RIR. I know one of the wyandottes is NOT laying. Is it possible all 3 could be from one hen??? We had some late bloomers - but it was worth the wait! The eggs were BIG! Is that because they were 8 months old?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I think it takes like 25 hours for a hen to ovulate and cover the egg. Three from one would be rough going. It would be the exhausted looking hen if it were.
    Those are some BIG first eggs.
    Congratulations on the eggs. It is one of the coolest things isn't it? [​IMG]

3. rirluvr

rirluvr Gallus Domesticus

Quote:RIR took 8 months to lay her first egg? Please tell me you live in some cold dark part of the country where it would take this long.

My RIR girls are turning 4 months on Dec 5 and I am hoping they will start laying that early.. I am hungry NOW!

4. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    The first egg is even better than I imagined! I have no clue why the RIR didn't lay until 8 months! I thought she was going to lay months ago - especially since I live in Georgia! We've gotten a lot of rain the last few months. . . maybe the sunlight was the problem.

5. rirluvr

Quote:I really hope it was the clouds and rain that discouraged yours. I hope the wonderful california sun will inspire mine to lay soon, though at this point in time we have some rain predicted for next week and we've been having semi cloudy days. Do you have any pics of your girls? here is a pic of mine. I only have 3 RIRs.
    [​IMG]

6. ijon1

ijon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    gaines, michigan
    My Chanlecter hen layed her first egg. Nice size brown egg. Before she layed she was making a kind of a growling sound. Not a cluck, cluck like the other hens.

7. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Here is my RIR. She's probably 7 months here. I only have one RIR, sorta by mistake. I also have 2 wyandottes, 2 brahmas, 1 Buff Orp, and 1 Cochin Bantam. The RIR has the most curious outgoing personality of the bunch.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. rirluvr

Quote:that there is a good looking hen.. yeah in terms of personality mine are awesome. Agnus is the boss and most curious, Hilda is the crazy, childish one that likes to tag along with Agnus to the point where she annoys Agnus. She likes to jump and play fight with the others and ends up running away first. Matilda is mellow she will play around when the others playing and flapping their wings. Matilda is the one who's approval you have to win before you join their circle of trust. She will come close and stare at you for a while to see what you do. Then she will test how close she can get to you before you try to touch her. Whenever there is a crow or some noise she is not familiar with she will run back to the coop and call the others and they all run in.

9. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Haha. It's amazing what different personalities they can have!

10. kathleengp

kathleengp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Woohoo! Congrats on those beeee-utiful eggs :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by