1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Egg(s)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WalkingWolf1, Sep 29, 2012.

1. WalkingWolf1

WalkingWolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Vermilion
    The two oldest chickens are 23 weeks old today. We have been kind of watching for eggs for the past couple of weeks but I explained to my daughter (8yo) and son(12yo) that it may still be a week or more away. Well, this afternoon I got home and when I got out of the car I heard the unmistakable C - L - U - U - U - U - C - K cluck-cluck song. It's been quite a while but I thought, 'that's the egg song'. I walked over to the cage and looked around. It took a bit of looking but tucked in the back of where the chickens roost was egg(s). From what I could make out I knew there were more than one but wasn't sure how many. When I went to pick them up at their grandparents I told them the story. As the story progressed my daughter proclaims, "please don't tell me any bad news". [​IMG] ( she has had to deal with a few tragedies with her quail). So when I mentioned the egg song she pulled up her knees and started a soft scream that got louder and louder. Her grandmother asked what was the problem and her mom explained I was telling her about the eggs. When we got home she and her brother went out to the coop and retrieved three eggs. They are both so excited and looking forward to scrambled eggs in the morning. Here is Claire with her first three eggs.

[​IMG]

2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

That made me cry! I swear this whole 'chicken thing' is turning me into a sappy, soppy mess.

CONGRATULATIONS! [​IMG]

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    yummmm scrambled eggs!!

4. WalkingWolf1

WalkingWolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Vermilion
    Going back through some pictures this afternoon and came across some pics of our very first hatch. Our new layer is one of this hatch. Here are two pics of her at 1 week old and another from this afternoon. This has been such a rewarding project for both the kids and I. Claire can't wait to plug the incubators back in. She sooo wants to hatch one of Connie's eggs. Connie is a cross from an Australorp roo running with a production red flock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    So pretty my last one is hatching right now and soooo pretty!! but these guys are just gorgeous!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by