1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Egg Setting Underway!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ClucksnDucksMI, Nov 3, 2013.

1. ClucksnDucksMI

ClucksnDucksMI Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I am so excited! I just set my very first attempt at incubating and hatching eggs. I purchased a ProSeries Circulated Air Incubator, Model 4200. I did my test drive and all seems well.

The temp is at 99.5 on the nose. My humidity is a bit too high, which I'm trying to work on. I just hard to share my excitement :) Any advice would be most appreciated.

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Congratulations! Setting your first hatch is very exciting indeed, I remember that feeling well.

The BYC has a number of great threads you may wish to read through to learn more and get a better feeling for what will happen over the next three weeks. See them at this link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...hing-eggs-important-topic-index-please-review

I wish you the best of luck, and a strong, healthy hatch of chicks.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. ClucksnDucksMI

Nov 3, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Not so sure in a couple of my eggs in the incubator. I've never really cancelled before but something tells me these aren't good? We are at about 48ish hours[​IMG]

4. ClucksnDucksMI

Nov 3, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    This one has some strange air bubbles in it? [​IMG]

5. ClucksnDucksMI

Nov 3, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    And the same. Sorry for poor pictures. Using the iPhone.[​IMG]

6. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    48 hours seems a little early to candle I would think. I like to wait at least 7 days, if not longer. I would just leave them in the incubator for now and give them a chance to develop, rather than taking them out too often, which could interfere with their growth.

7. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Were these eggs shipped? Because that looks like it might be a damaged air cell from rough handling. If so, then the advice I have been able to find says you should leave it sit upright without being turned or disturbed at all for a couple of days to allow the air cell a chance to stabilize itself.

8. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    on my first attempt i used a still air incubator and did everything that I wasn't supposed to and still hatched 15 out of 20 eggs!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. ClucksnDucksMI

Nov 3, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    The eggs were bit shipped, all from my coop. I looked at them again tonight and the more I look at this one I don't really see a yolk. Going to give it the advised 7 days and remove if nothing by them. By the way, today I saw little beating hearts and veins! I am so excited!!!

10. ClucksnDucksMI

Nov 3, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Oops not shipped!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by