First egg shipment and hen has gone broody

CamiLynn

Songster
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
Southern Mississippi
One of my silkies just went broody today and I have shipment of eggs due to arrive tomorrow. I would like to put some of the shipped eggs under the hen and the rest in my incubator however, I don't know exactly what to do when it comes to shipped eggs. I was told they needed to sit a day or two and not to be turned for a few days in the incubator, but what about placing them under my broody hen? Please help.

You can sit them in an egg carton fat end up for 24 hours then give her some and put the rest in your incubator . I dont know this is my first try with a broody and they were my eggs . But I bet someone else will know more.

Thanks. I have had a broody hen hatch eggs that I had gotten from someone else, but they were local and not shipped. I'm just not sure about the shipped eggs, since I was told not to turn them for a few days.

IF anyone can get the best hatch out of shipped eggs I think it would be a broody hen. Maybe check the air cells and give her the ones that are the most stable and put the others in the bator not to be turned for a few days till they settle better??

That is what I was thinking also. Hopefully, someone that has actually used shipped eggs under a broody hen with success, will chime in. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom