First Egg!! So which lady laid it? *with PICS of course*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mlheran, Jul 10, 2007.

1. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

After having a terrible day yesterday I was pleasantly surprised this morning during my bird routine -I found the first ever egg! [​IMG]

I thought it was too early for anyone to start laying, but the lovely proof fits in the palm of my hand! The oldest three of my six standards are roughly 18 weeks, and only the RIR and one of the Cuckoo Marans has really red wattles and combs. Any guesses as to who laid it? The egg seems kind of dark to me, so maybe the Marans? [​IMG]

Love that color!
    [​IMG]

It doesn't even register as "small!" [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So who do you think it was, Nutmeg or Cuckoo One?
    [​IMG]

Needless to say, finding that first egg has made me so happy! It's the start of a new adventure and I can't wait for each and every egg!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's dark like the marans, but, as the first egg, it still could be your other pullets, see if that color lightens up or not in the comming weeks! Exciting times!

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    yay!! how fun for you!! I can't wait for mine to start laying.

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    How fun! I'm looking forward to mine coming hopefuly within the next month.

5. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Don't know but isnt the first egg so exciting. [​IMG]

Also I love your scale, that is really neat.

6. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    That has to be a Maran egg. I've never seen RIR eggs get that dark.

7. Randy17

Randy17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2007
    Oil City, Pa
    Hey where can I cet an egg scale ??

Randy

8. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the replies everyone -I definitely can't wait for those daily eggs to start coming!

As for my egg scale, my great grandparents had one that I used to play with as a kid (the chickens were long gone by the time I came around) but it disappeared somewhere over the years. I got to thinking about it when I got my chickens this spring, and found the exact model and color on eBay (of course [​IMG])! Just search "egg scale" and plenty of interesting searches come up. I was able to get it for less than $10, but some of the vintage ones in good condition go for a lot of money. There are new ones there too (but I think the old ones are neat!). Good luck and happy hunting!

9. beejay86

beejay86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Western Massachusetts
    I was going to ask the same question about the scale!!! I have to have one!!!!

Congrats on the first egg. I removed the innards and saved the shell in a glass jar.

10. dumblond

dumblond Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    Joplin, Missouri
    Exactly how did you do that? I want to do that with my first from yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by