First Egg! Thanks to the Forum and Members!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Adirondacked, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Adirondacked

Adirondacked Out Of The Brooder

I went into let the chickens out into the yard from the coop today, and did my chores as usual ... feed, water, make sure the nest boxes are clean. (We had an issue with them sleeping in them at first - which was solved by advice here. [​IMG] ) I reached into a nest box to fluff up the shavings, and I thought, "Didn't I put that golf ball in the *other*nest box?" It was an egg! Our Buff Orpington is 22 weeks this week, and my others are 21 ... right on schedule! Gooooood girls! It was a perfect tawny buff brown egg, I assume from the Orpington, because I'd expect the Red Stars to be a little bigger. Thanks to all here for ALL the advice I have been getting along the way. I promise to be a better forum member and post more often in the future. I have some coop construction photos to get up in that section too. Here's the trophy ... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyhow I'm sure you've all felt it before - neat feeling, the first egg. Heck, I'm amazed I've kept them happy, let alone doing all the things correctly to produce eggs! They are certainly charming - I've got them taking treats out of my hand, and they sure are excited when I come around the corner to the chicken yard! [​IMG]

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    [​IMG] Congrats! Aren't chickens amazing?? [​IMG]

3. beckyschicks

beckyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    I had my first egg 2 days ago and still am walking around with a big grin! Nothing like that feeling. All your hard work and then they give you an egg. Congrats!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  4. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    That first egg is always the most awesome - congrats!

5. Adirondacked

Adirondacked Out Of The Brooder

I totally put the egg in my jacket pocket and walked it around to all the neighbors to show them! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. sillyaboutchickens

sillyaboutchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2009
    NH
    Congratulations! We too recently got our first eggs ( last week). [​IMG] The first thing the kids want to do in the morning now is to go out and check for eggs in the coop.

7. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    I got my first egg yesterday.
    Am SUCH a proud Momma!!!!!
    Congratulations - May there be many more!!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by