First egg then nothing for days!

cheerful chick

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
So my Ameraucana (which now I suspect is an Easter Egger) laid her first green egg on Saturday at 5pm...it's now Tuesday evening and nothing! I'm guessing this is normal but would like some feedback. Her egg was very large and I was surprised since my Barred Rocks (who is so much bigger) had been laying for a few weeks and has only produced one really large egg while usually they are fairly small.

We have two Easter Eggers and one of them (we have our suspicions as to which one) laid a tiny blue egg Wednesday. We didn't find it until the next afternoon and of course, she laid it in the backyard near a tree and not in the nesting box! It was teeny tiny though. Now...NOTHING! I am so upset about it. Could ours have accidentally let an egg loose before it was time??? This is our first time raising chickens and we just know so little.

Is this normal? I wish I had answers for you but all I have are questions!

I am attaching a picture.

Hi Cheerful Chick & J6,
Beautiful day here in SEastern PA! I have 4 RIR's....one of them laid their first egg 2 weeks ago and since then they have gotten a little bigger, they are now about the size of med. eggs...and we are still only getting 2 a day.....we "think" they are on a every other day cycle....but one is laying everyday because that one "layer's" eggs are getting bigger. (I think it's Endora, she's my baby girl) She follows me everywhere, will go in the pen when i go up and will come when I call her...LOL...the other's, well obstinate doesn't quite say what THEY are like....
tongue.gif
LOL....they get halfway up to the pen and then realize they are going back in and run like hades back to get under the deck......

Anyway......I guess they will ALL start laying together one day.....one can hope....and your eggs whether little or big are a blessing...

Happy Clucking!!!

One of my girls started laying Thursday. I was so excited! Had an egg a day, so far. I let them out for some free ranging yesterday and didn't realize she laid in the azalea bush, till this AM. (She went directly back there to lay today.)

I have an EE who just laid her first egg on Thursday, she hasn't laid one since but I'm not concerned because from what I read EE typically lay 3 eggs per week. So I'm not expecting many eggs from her but her first one was a lovely Green so it's exciting and I look forward to her next one.

I have an EE who just laid her first egg on Thursday, she hasn't laid one since but I'm not concerned because from what I read EE typically lay 3 eggs per week. So I'm not expecting many eggs from her but her first one was a lovely Green so it's exciting and I look forward to her next one.

Thank you so much for posting this! Being so new to keeping chickens, I had not realized EE's did not lay an egg every day. This is great information. We did get another lovely blue egg yesterday. It was even more blue than the first one. We are so excited! I can see why everyone loves their EE's. :)

No problem. We got another green one yesterday! So fun. I figure if ours starts laying more often that'll just be bonus since I'm not expecting it. We didn't even pick an ee, we actually thought we had a BO when we got her from the feed store and then she turned out to be an all white bird with fluffy cheeks so some awesome people on here told me we had an ee. She's a bit of a trouble maker but she's fun to watch. She was the first chick to escape the brooder, first to fly onto the fence in our yard, she was always the last one to be caught when I needed the girls in the coop. She used to be kinda skiddish around me but now that she squats she comes around me more! We love our EE and it's ok if she only gives us a few eggs a week. We got the chickens for eggs but I have grown fond of them! :)

I think the issue of frequency with EEs stems from them being mixed breed birds - you never know what you're going to get. We currently have two in our flock and one averages 6 eggs a week and the other 5. I have also heard from people who get closer to the 3 eggs a week you mention. I can only think of one day in the past month that we didn't have at least one "pretty egg" in our basket once they both got up and running.

That's good to know! I won't get my hopes up but anything more than 3 a week will be bonus! When we add to our flock in the spring I think we will get a couple more EEs!

Back
Top Bottom