First egg, then nothing!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joyous, Nov 29, 2009.

1. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Hi, 5 days ago, much to my surprise, my 16 to 18 week pullet ( Leghorn vs Norwegian Jaehon) laid a beautiful perfect small white egg in the top nest, just like a pro. Since then I have seen her sitting there once, but no more eggs. I have light in the coop from 6am until 7:30 pm, (not to extend laying, just for my convenience), they are all locked in the coop at night. My question is, has she found a spot out doors when she in free ranging, or is erratic egg laying at first normal?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    mine were erratic at first, what are you feeding? have you added oyster shell for calcium? even now some of mine skip a day

3. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Yes I have had oyster shell available for a month and their outside run is on crushed limestone. I have also started them on layer feed because I have two adult hens who are laying and their egg shells are strong and healthy! I know its one of three of my pullets eggs because they are the only three that will lay white eggs, the rest brown, and my adults are black copper marans so their eggs are very distinguishable!

4. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Its common for them to lay their first egg and then nothing for a while and then they start getting more regular about it.
    Its possible that she could be laying a hidden nest somewhere but I doubt it, only because like you said she is a new layer and its only been 5 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by