first egg.... then nothing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bring, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    I have an EE who was attacked by a dog. I managed to nurse her back to health. While she was in the house recooperating she layed her first egg. That was about two and half weeks ago and she has yet to lay another. Should I be worried? I did move her back outside to the coop about five days ago. The other hens are not being nice to her at all. She still tries to get me to pick her up.

2. Eagle2026

Eagle2026 HIGH FLYER

Mar 10, 2009
    Snohomish, WA.
    I wouldn't expect another egg from her till spring.
    With the trauma, the other hens picking, then there's the thing about changing housing a few times.
    Be patient.
    Mike

3. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Ok. Just wanted to make sure she wasn't egg bound.

4. mccaff mama hen

mccaff mama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've had the same thing with my WPR, she was attacked, healing and already back outside and she layed 3 soft shelled eggs. I've added osyter shells to her diet, but nothing since last Saturday. She is active, friendly and like her normal self. I only have one more girl a RS, they are best buds so she's not picking on her, in fact she was very distressed when she was in the house a couple of nights. my RS started laying Fri and has everyday since. How long before I should worry? Suggestions? BTW, she is healing very well her bruising is all gone under her wing and feathers are growing in nicely too.[​IMG]

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I had a similar experience except without the trauma. My BO pullet laid her very first egg two days after Christmas. She laid everyday until New Year's Eve (5 eggs total) and then....nothing. After 11 days, I posted on here asking if this was "normal" and wouldn't you know, that very day she laid an egg - right in front of me in fact (I was hanging up laundry and she stood next to me, did the "poop squat" and instead of poop, out shot an egg!) Since then, she has laid every single day - 10 days in a row and from the sounds of the egg song coming from my backyard right now, she's working on number 11.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by