First Egg This Morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pirtykitty, Sep 25, 2009.

1. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I went out this morning about 6:58 I know a few minutes before 7 to let the ducks out of night pen.. Before I opened the hardware cloth door I noticed something by the water bucket.. after I got door open and the ducks let out I noticed a small egg rolling around beside it.. Still wet and warm.. It has a tan tinshed to it with whit underneat.. Is it cayuga or welsh harlequin??? it's about half the size of the large chicken eggs I get from lady at church..
    I am so tickled... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

3. duckface

duckface Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    the back of my horse
    [​IMG] First eggs are fun!

4. [​IMG]
    The first eggs usually look a little different in size, color, and texture than they will once they have laid for a while, but my guess is that's a WH egg!
    Mine lays a little on the small side with a pinkish-tan tinge to it.
    Over the season they get lighter, and have a kind of marbleing to it.

5. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    hmm... I have my ducks in with my chickens now for the time being and I found an egg next to the pool the other day... I have a pekin female.

How old are ducks when they start laying?

6. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I wonder if I will get one or two tomorrow morning.. I have two Welsh harlequin females.. and 1 cayuga female.. Plus one each of male WH and male cayuga.. We are still working on the new night pen for them.. It will be 4 x 8 with 3 nesting boxes.. hubby put it on wheels.. still needs the sides and roof.. I found golf balls in the garage this afternoon so I can put those in later until I can get some wooden eggs.

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Everyone is getting their first eggs... I am SO jealous!

8. kcardella

kcardella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    I just started getting eggs about a week ago! I have 5 girls, and am getting 2 eggs every day, but have NO idea which ones are laying!

Is there a color difference between Welsh Harlequin and Khaki Campbell eggs? I would love to be able to tell the difference.

9. kcardella

kcardella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    Quote:Thank you! It looks like the WH eggs have a pinkish tinge, and the KC eggs are more beige, almost translucent looking?

If so, then it's my KC's that are laying - hopefully the other 3 will follow suit soon!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by