First Egg Today! Oh Yeah!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by so lucky, Jul 29, 2011.

1. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I had a frustrating morning dealing with electricians and air conditioner guys, plus the 95 degree heat. I came home about 2 o'clock and gave my chickens fresh water, ice and watermelon. They didn't jump on the watermelon as they usually do. Buck was crowing. I noticed Gertie was in the hot coop, in the nest, so I opened the doors to give her some air. Buck hopped in and fussed around, then I saw THE EGG. Gertie, my White Plymouth Rock, was in the nest box with a beautiful little tan egg! [​IMG] It's about the size of a banty egg, I guess. It was still very warm. I noticed the other girls go in the coop, too, just milling around, as if they knew something was up. Gertie is 16 and a half weeks, maybe 17 weeks tops. My other girls are 16 weeks, so I hope they will start laying soon, too. Getting your first egg is a good feeling, like a gift. Very cool![​IMG]

2. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    [​IMG]

3. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    Yay! It IS like a gift, it's exciting. Then every day you look for more, and THEN.....there are more! My fridge is starting to fill up with eggs. YIPPPEEE [​IMG]

4. CandiceN

CandiceN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    NH
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats! First eggs are so exciting!