First egg today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CCCookie, Nov 8, 2009.

1. CCCookie

CCCookie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2009
    Seattle
    I have 6 hens that turned 6 mos old today and got an egg! However, she laid it on top of the nesting box where they all like to sleep and it dropped to the floor and broke. I don't have a golf ball or fake egg on hand. Would it be to risky to boil and egg and put in the nesting box? I did notice today that one of them have formed a complete circle nest in the straw in one of the nesting box. New to chickens and answers would be much appreciated. Thanks, Kathy javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');

2. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] Congrats on the first egg! Too bad it fell and broke. Personally, we used golfballs and they worked perfectly.

3. CCCookie

Nov 8, 2009
    Seattle
    [​IMG][​IMG] Update; a RIR is in the nesting box right now laying! She's in the one that had been all scooped out into a nest!!!!

Well; she did not lay; just hung out there away from the flock for two hours--what does this mean??? Ideas greatly appreciated. Kathy

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  4. CCCookie

Nov 8, 2009
    Seattle
    one:) Can someone help!!! New pullets laying eggs. Thanks.

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    You may get your eggs soon enough, sometimes thet will 'try out' the box first.....If you don't have golfballs, try pingpong ball, a plastic easter egg (fill with sand so its heavy and will not be kicked out) or even a larger, roundish rock may work. Are any of your girls squatting when you appoach them? Idon't think using a hard boiled egg for a couple of day would be a problem, as long as it doesn't start to rot....I use wooen eggs in my nestboxes and it has worked without fail (so far...)

6. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

We used boiled eggs and they actually worked fine. I'd just change them out every few days. We tried a ceramic egg but no one wanted to sit on it! LOL! They do tend to lay in the nest where there is an egg already for sure! Maybe you can check some local stores for some silly putty? It is usually at dollar stores and still comes in a plastic egg! BUT! I also am willing to bet if you ask some friends they will have plastic eggs left over from Easter too if you dont' have any handy. Good luck! They'll lay soon enough. They're just making you wait! [​IMG]

7. CCCookie

Nov 8, 2009
    Seattle
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks to all for your help very much appreciated!

8. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    [​IMG] for first egg!!

I use ping pong balls, works good except for the one BR that likes to take one out of the nest box and shoot it around the coop [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by