first egg today

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sojono, Nov 28, 2009.

1. sojono

sojono Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    columbia
    from the quail hatch from shellies coturnix eggs they are 6 weeks and 2 days old it was a surprise thought it would be about 8 or 9 weeks. sojono

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yay!! Congrats [​IMG]

Which ones were they? My browns didn't lay until 9-10 weeks, but some of the whites started at 5. Most of the others started around 6 [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

4. sojono

sojono Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    columbia
    shelley they were the jumbo browns coturnix.i had a good hatch but lost several until i put teramycin in the water and haven't lost any more. now i am waiting on spring to get here so i can get some goldens and some white ones.the ones i have now are real gentle more so than my chickens.so i still won't ever know what quail taste like[lol] sojono.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    ugly ducky has some jumbo goldens, I've got some of her birds chicks in my brooder, and they are so different from the ones I've got from my birds!! They are definitely bigger, but even their color is different! The goldens from my birds are usually very blonde, these have dark heads, but it seems it's mostly the females that do? You can almost tell what sex it is by the color of its head!!

I remember when you had that problem with the quail, I wonder what it was? I don't hatch them here all that much, but I do have some that are between 2 and 4 weeks old. They are all mixed in with chicks from ugly ducky and mamawolf544, and everyone is just fine. I lost only one, and it was a golden from ugly ducky that had very bad slipped tendon. I'm glad it died, the last one I had like that lived in my bathroom for 4 or 5 months!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by