First egg today

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Glenmar, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I got my first egg today. [​IMG] I was able to pen my free ranging spalding hen two weeks ago.
    Today I got the first egg. Sure hope it is fertile. I plan to collect 4-6 then let her sit on some. She is safe in my barn, so this
    will be my first year with chicks from her. [​IMG] Last year she nested out in the field and something took or ate all the eggs.

2. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    awesome i too, got my first egg today. probably a white or a pied! exciting finding it. my first one ever. looks like a turkey egg. Threw it in my bator will i get one tomorrow or the next day you think? do they only lay a couple? most of them are 2 years old..some 3

3. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Maybe one every other day. I am holding mine out to set them in the incubator all at once.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    sound like a great plan , they will lay a egg every other day then take a break, between clutches, mine laye 3 to 4 clutches each year. when you let mom raise them feed a20 to 24% medicated starter feed first few months

5. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Thanks Deerman. This is the first year that I have had her penned. She is in one of my 12x12 horse stalls.
    I can't wait. [​IMG]

6. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    Finally got an egg today, it is going to be black shoulder split bronze.

7. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [​IMG]

8. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    will the first egg be fertile? i have 3 males in the pen and they make thier call constantly. all at once lol...and i see the silver pied display all day long hes dominant. male. for sure. are there usualy no fertility problems with peafowl? i know with my call ducks its a pain in the REAR to get all fertile eggs. especially from the nice show qality birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by