1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First egg today !

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by melly83, Feb 11, 2013.

1. melly83

melly83 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2012
    Hi all hope your all ok and your ducks too, well today i found my first ever duck egg, it was laying in the mud and is pretty cold but i wiped the mud away with a dry tissue and placed it in the duck house, in the hope that my girls will realise this is the best place for eggs ! I am just wondering if it was fertile could it survive being in the cold mud ? I dont know how long it was there but it wasnt there at lunch time (im in the uk btw) and i put them to bed at 5 and foubnd it then, i will try to post a picture when i figure out how lol x

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If it is fertile it probably could survive cold mud for several hours. If this is the first, though, the odds are against it being viable. Not impossible, but I have read that for those wanting to hatch ducklings, to leave the first several eggs be, and wait till she's been laying a few weeks.

If I have that wrong, hope someone will straighten us out.

Congratulations!!!!

Welcome to Duckdom!

3. melly83

melly83 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2012
    Thank you :) I went to let them out this morning and found another (cleaner) egg in the duck house,I will leave them until the weekend and collect them, I think once it's a little warmer here I will think about hatching them, the first lot will be used as food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by