First egg! Weird one! Opinions?

ChickMom5711

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
LaFayette, Georgia
Hi all!
One of my 18-week buff orpington hens laid her first egg today! Now, I've seen many an egg... This egg looks so strange. It's like two eggs fused together. There is even a crease in it. Any ideas what has happened?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Looks like you should be able to twist it open, like a plastic Easter egg ;)

Seriously though, weird things happen to new layers. Probably just her system working things out.

I do still sometimes get eggs that look like they have a little crease or wrinkle in it, particularly around the tip. I think I've read an explanation somewhere but don't remember it being something to be concerned about.

If they're starting to lay, just make sure you're leaving plenty of oyster shell around for them.

My EE's first egg looked like that!! It had 2 yolks. Here is a really good read on the whole process of how the eggs are formed and why they can sometimes be weird like that.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/01/how-hen-makes-egg-egg-oddities.html

After my EE laid an egg like that, she didn't lay another one for 5 days. Probably because it had 2 yolks. Just a heads up in case it takes a few days for your BO to lay another one. Congrats on your first egg!!

Looks like you should be able to twist it open, like a plastic Easter egg ;)

Seriously though, weird things happen to new layers. Probably just her system working things out.

I do still sometimes get eggs that look like they have a little crease or wrinkle in it, particularly around the tip. I think I've read an explanation somewhere but don't remember it being something to be concerned about.

If they're starting to lay, just make sure you're leaving plenty of oyster shell around for them.

Thank you for the help! I figured it was something like that, just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything weird! :) The egg is huge! I kind if feel bad for the lady because this looked like a doozie for a first timer! I gave two of my buff Pullets to my best friend and one of them is laying, just a but smaller eggs- medium sizes. This egg is much bigger than extra large! Haha

Back
Top Bottom