First Egg - Who Done It?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lkcaffery, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Persephone the Salmon Favorelles

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Chicken Little the Silkie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lkcaffery

lkcaffery Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    I have four girls - one Buff Oprington, one Salmon Favorelles, one EE, and one Silkie. All will be 24 weeks tomorrow and today, I got my first egg! (see pictures below) We've been out of town for a long weekend and I had someone coming over daily to feed, water and check on the girls. They even came over at noon today, and there were no eggs. I checked about 2:00 and what a surprise!

Our Salmon Favrorelles, Persephone, is my first guess because her comb practically doubled in size in the few days we were gone (also see picture below). But this afternoon, my silkie, Chicken Little, squatted for me TWICE and is the only one of the four to truly squat for me. The BO and Salmon Favorelles will hunker down when I pet them on their back, but the Silkie squatted upon me walking over near her and then later on when I reached down to her, she squatted, moving her tail to the left. This was completely different than what I presumed was squatting from my BO and Salmon Favorelles.

The egg is about silkie-sized, but I know first eggs can be small until the hen gets things going, so I still think it plausable for Persephone, the Salmon Favorelles, to be the winner of this race, especially since Silkies are typically late-maturing. I was sure Chicken Little the Silkie wouldn't lay for at least a couple more months or even next spring. The egg is light cream in color and the picture of the egg with the tin chicken in the background most accurately depicts the color.

Who is your money on?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I bet it's the Salmon Faverolles :) (btw thank you for spelling it right, so many people leave off the 's' [​IMG])

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    It could be the EE if it is the green egg. Brown I would say the Salmon Faverolles as well

4. lkcaffery

lkcaffery Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Those two eggs in the two pictures are actually the same egg, if you can believe it. The outdoor picture with the tin roo in the background accurately reflects the egg's color. The lighting was terrible inside so the egg looks greenish in that picture, but it definitely is not. It is a beautiful very light brown/cream color. I'm hoping for another one today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by