First egg. Woo hoo!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by outdoor junkie, Jul 27, 2011.

1. outdoor junkie

outdoor junkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Found my first egg yesterday evening while filling up the water, was pretty excited. It sat in there for most of the day I think so I didn't bother saving it. Cracked it open and it was a double yolker.[​IMG] Then found another today when I got home from work. How soon do they need to be collected and refrigerated, if they sit i nthe coop most of the day are they still good? Pretty exciting stuff.
    [​IMG]

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats!!!!!!!!!

3. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Could tell you exactley how long I know a couple of days for sure, If you leave it in the nest for a couple days though you might get a suprise when you crack it open, like veins. I collect mine everyday and sometimes I leave mine on the kitchen counter for a couple day before I refrigerate them or eat them. With my house being so cold they dont develope anythink inside enless you put them back out in the nest or bator.. In a quote attributed to Alton Brown, he states that unrefrigerated eggs age roughly a week’s worth of refrigerated time in a day (depending on temperature, of course). Given that eggs typically last 6 – 8 weeks in a refrigerator, that gives you about a week to eat a fresh egg. A good check for egg freshness is to see if it floats – if it does, the inner air pocket has expanded and the egg should probably be discarded.

4. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Woot! Congrats!

As for the eggs...I'm home most days so I'm always checking for them and collecting them. However, on the days I'm not, they sit outside all day, sometimes into the evening and they are fine. Also, in the 3 months we've owned chickens, we've never refrigerated an egg. They are just fine sitting in a basket or something on your counter, out of the sun. Don't wash them prior to getting ready to use them, though maybe a dry spot clean is ok if there is some kind of funk on it.

But read up here on the forums about the best way to keep eggs. If you are going to eat them within a couple weeks, feel comfortable not putting them in the fridge...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  5. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah, they can sit out a long time and be OK to eat. Many of us don't even refrigerate our eggs. I keep mine on the kitchen counter. Congratulations on your egg!

6. outdoor junkie

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Wow, I did not know you could store them unrefrigerated. And also you dont rinse them off before storing them? Also wil lthey develop veins and what not even though I don't have a rooster to fertelize the girls? Now if the other three would start laying I would be doing great, and maybe if she would use the nesting box.

7. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Quote:No sorry I ment with a rooster. lol
    I think when an egg is layed it is coated with a pertective layer that you cant see and it helps protect from bacteria entering through the egg shell. Thats they say not to wash them.

8. outdoor junkie

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Thank you all for the information. This site has helped me tremendously.

9. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    That is correct, they are layed with what is call "Bloom" it is a protective coating that keeps bacteria from getting inside. If you wash it, you MUST refridgerate.

10. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Yep, fine to eat, no refrigeration necessary on eggs. They will last a couple months without refrigeration, but if you wash them, put them in the fridge for a good 6-9 month shelf life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by