1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Egg Woohoo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gramakoko, Sep 11, 2010.

1. gramakoko

gramakoko Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    It's kind of small. I think it was one of the Ameracanas...This so exciting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wheels

Wheels Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Milledgeville GA.
    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! M/F got my 1st one this week. Feels great. Don't it?

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    [​IMG][​IMG]:weee It is so much fun to find that first egg...and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th...[​IMG]

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats on the first egg!!!! It is a wonderful feeling to get your own eggs!!!

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Like Christmas huh. My DH said he wished he had a camera the day I found my first egg. Yesterday we had 8 for 8. Im still excited everytime I get an egg. Congrats!!!!

6. Hollyjane

Hollyjane New Egg

Sep 7, 2010
    This month marks the first eggs we've gotten out of our girls. We have six, and the first couple eggs were small, and only showed up every few days. I don't know who's laying and who's not, but we went almost a week without anything, and then yesterday we found five new eggs all in one box! We only made two nest boxes for our six girls, because the guy at the store said they'll usually all share, anyway. So, we got five yesterday, and today I picked out about four. I was wondering whether I should leave an egg behind each time. My great-grandma used to always leave one, and when I worked at a ranch they said to put a plastic egg in each nest where I found eggs. My girls don't seem to care that all the eggs go away every day, and they keep laying. Anyone's thoughts on these topics would be well received [​IMG]

Thanks!

Holly

7. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    Isn't it great?! Our chickens just started laying about two weeks ago and today we had 5 eggs!!! (12 chickens) [​IMG]

8. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    Quote:Well, I'm no expert, but we don't leave an egg behind and they all lay anyway!

9. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    So that's the where all the wooden eggs come from in the craft store!!! I love your chicken in the picture, and your egg is gorgeous, congratulations! Here's hoping that every egg feels like your first (mine do).

10. sequoiacyclist

sequoiacyclist Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Visalia, CA
    Yay! I got my first egg today too! One of my girls surprised me with a beautiful little blue pointy egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by