First Egg Yay.....Oh Wait.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swmalone, Jul 9, 2011.

1. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Well okay got my first egg today and have been waiting so anxiously. First it wasn't in the egg box, but it was close and it looked like she tried nesting in there and just didn't like the paper. I'm going to try hay. But then I noticed that the egg was really soft and it actually looked like too eggs. I have been providing oyster shell for about a week, but they I haven't switched to layer yet, although I picked up a bag yesterday. Anyone have any ideas? Will the shells harden up? I believe this is from my buff orpington, she has had a big red comb and been doing the egg song for a while.

I put it in the grass to get a better look.

[​IMG]

2. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    It looks as tho your girl did the same thing my dad's 20wk old girl did the other day. Yes, they do harden up but do switch to laying mash/pellets and provide the oyster shell. My dad had to switch and saw results in his girls very quickly. The picture below shows what his girl laid, and she laid them by a tree just a few feet from where my parents where sitting so they know for a fact it was laid by one pullet, at the same time. You can also see that the 2 eggs are connected, very cool to me!!! There are so many people on here that say hens can't lay 2 a day but now WE have proof otherwise!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

3. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I agree switch them over to laying hen feed.. Congrats on your first egg [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You get all sorts of strange eggs with new layers. They'll be fine. Go ahead and switch to layer feed though.

5. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Congrats on the egg! Still waiting on mine...and from all that I have read, it takes a while for the egg laying to be normal

6. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Yup switch to layer and they will be fine....I switched about 2 weeks ago and ive got Five wonderful little hard shelled eggs good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by