First Egg!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by linebacker, Nov 3, 2008.

1. linebacker

linebacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    We got our first egg today!!!!!

It took 28 weeks, but we got our first egg today. It was not as small as I thought our first one would be though. I don't know which hen exactly laid it, but I know it was one of my production blacks. They are the only white egg layers we have.

I was worried when the daylight hours started to dwindle that our egg production would be put back even longer.

As a grown man, I can't believe I'm so excited!! I just can't help it!

Brad

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Congrats! I just got FIVE today. Four of which just laid for the first time today [​IMG] Mine were much larger than I expected too. I was waiting for these "fart eggs" I ahve been hearing about and than these big eggs pop out [​IMG] not complaining though. They are good eats either way! 28 weeks was a LONG time to wait I bet! mine are 24 weeks this wed and I was going crazy waiting for them to lay.

3. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

I share in your excitement linebacker........I too got my first egg today! It was such a wonderful surprise.....you're right......who would have thought one could be so excited!! [​IMG]

4. linebacker

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    Congrats Chickenbike on your first egg too!!!!

Hanging, I glad to hear you have new layers. Yeah, the 28 weeks was a long time to wait. The have had free range time almost everyday, plenty of feed and water. Every time I put a nest box in they tore them down, this one was just laid in the corner of the coop.

Brad

5. animal nut

animal nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    You know I am with you when you say you are so excited about the first egg. I am a grown women and I would much rather watch my chickens and see whom is laying than a whole lot of other activities. All of our spring chickens are laying now as of last week and it is exciting to see how many eggs we get each day. We have 16 comets that are 6 weeks old now and waiting for them. My co workers hear me talk chickens everyday. They even tell me when things at work get overwhelming that I should go do some chicken watching for stress relief. Raising chickens has been one the best life experiences my family has had together.[​IMG]

2 teenagers, 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 indoor bird and 21 fun chickens.

6. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    aint it great !!!! .............. i would have never believed I would care ............... but I do !!!!! ................. great fun

7. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

8. linebacker

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    The chickens are an entire family affair. Maybe that's what so exciting about. We knew nothing at all about chickens when we started. Still don't know much, but everything we have learned (so much from the good people here) we learned together. Seeing my son's face light up when he went in to get the egg would have been worth twice the wait.

Brad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by